Kentucky comes back to beat Mizzou in OT, 90-83

By the Associated Press

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Julius Mays’ eight points in overtime, including four clinching free throws in the final 33 seconds, helped Kentucky get the important victory it needed to bolster its NCAA tournament chances, beating Missouri 90-83 Saturday night.

Mays made six free throws in overtime and scored 21 of his 24 points after halftime for the Wildcats (19-8, 10-4 Southeastern Conference), who needed a “quality” win to go along with their triumph over then-No. 16 Mississippi last month. Kentucky got it by holding serve at Rupp Arena over Missouri (19-8, 8-6) in the marquee game on ESPN College Game Day, and the Wildcats’ backcourt was key in beating the Tigers.

Archie Goodwin scored all 18 of his points after intermission while Ryan Harrow added 16 with eight rebounds and six assists. That helped offset Phil Pressey’s 27 points and Missouri’s determined effort that forced overtime.

Instead, the Tigers saw their road woes continue in falling to 1-7.

Alex Poythress added 21 points for the Wildcats, who improved to 2-1 since losing freshman center Nerlens Noel to a season-ending knee injury.

Kentucky shot 30 of 59 from the field (51 percent). Missouri finished 33 of 76 (43.4 percent).

Alex Oriakhi added 16 points and Laurence Bowers 13 for the Tigers.

The tight ending typified the game’s importance for both teams hoping for at-large tournament bids. Though Missouri seemed to be in better shape than Kentucky, Tigers coach Frank Haith said there were many teams “in the same boat,” needing a substantive win.

Thanks to Kentucky’s guards, the Wildcats’ postseason hopes remain afloat.

Out of sorts midway through the first half, the Wildcats regrouped to trail by 35-31 at the half before mounting a 31-20 run over the first 10-plus minutes of the second half for a 62-55 lead. Missouri fought back and forced overtime and led twice in the extra period but couldn’t hold off determined Kentucky.

Mays converted a 1-and-1 then added a follow basket to keep Kentucky tied at 79. Goodwin made a reverse layup before Poythress and Harrow both made two free throws. Mays’ four sealed the game.

Kentucky was coming off Wednesday’s 74-70 victory over Vanderbilt, earning the close victory with crisp play on both ends of the floor and two huge blocks by freshman center Willie Cauley-Stein, handling duties in the pivot since Noel’s injury.

The Tigers entered the game with one of the SEC’s most potent offenses and a balanced one at that, with every starter averaging in double figures. Pressey (11.8 points per game) drew most of Kentucky’s attention because of his ability to distribute the ball and create turnovers along with scoring.

And while forward Bowers and center Oriakhi presented a dual inside threat, it shaped up as another matchup of guard play.

Living up to the Show-Me state motto, the Tigers quickly displayed their offensive prowess.

Three straight baskets staked Missouri to a 7-2 lead that quickly grew to 17-8 as the Tigers outhustled the young Wildcats on both ends. Pressey’s steal and layup for Missouri’s second basket and consecutive baseline drives by reserve guard Earnest Ross that made it 15-8 and epitomized the Tigers’ athleticism.

Oriakhi followed with a layup to cap an 8-for-17 start from the field for the Tigers, compared to 4 of 14 for the Wildcats. Missouri cooled off some after that but still was able to build its biggest lead at 28-15 with 4:55 remaining in the first half.

Just as quickly, Kentucky found some poise along with some shooters and closed with a 16-7 run to trail by 35-31 at intermission.

Harrow, who scored 12 Wednesday in his return to the starting lineup, set the tone again with inside drives to score 12 in the first half. Others followed his lead and the results were 3-pointers by Mays and Poythress, whose thunderous dunk from Harrow’s lob started the spurt.

Kentucky began drawing fouls as well, converting 7 of 12 from the line. The Wildcats shot 39 percent (11 of 28) for the half compared to 14 of 38 for the Tigers (37 percent).

Missouri’s rebounding was the difference, a 27-18 edge culminating in 10 second-chance points. The Tigers also shared the ball, with all but one player scoring at least a basket.

Missouri next travels to South Carolina for a game on Thursday, Feb. 28. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CST.

4 games in SEC play go to overtime on same day
They were working overtime in the SEC on Saturday.

Four Southeastern Conference basketball games went past regulation, the first time it happened in the league in 34 years.

The longest game was between Tennessee and Texas A&M, which ended after four overtimes with the Volunteers claiming a 93-85 victory over the Aggies. The Vols had never before played a four-OT game.

The Aggies and Vols came up one extra period short of the longest game men’s game this season. Notre Dame beat Louisville 104-101 in five overtimes on Feb. 9.

LSU needed three overtimes to dispatch Alabama 97-94, while Georgia beat South Carolina 62-53, and Kentucky edged Missouri 90-83 in one OT.

The last time four SEC games went OT was Feb. 10, 1979, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: