10 Mizzou wrestlers heading to NCAA championship tournament
March 9, 2012
Posted by on
By Kelsey Alumbaugh
Last weekend nine of Missouri’s wrestlers qualified for the NCAA championship tournament. On Thursday the NCAA announced that Devin Mellon received an at-large pick for the tournament. Missouri is the only school that qualified all 10 starters.
In post-tournament interviews from last weekend, Alan Waters, coach Brian Smith, and Mike Larson discuss the team’s strategy for the Big 12 tournament. Smith preached a David and Goliath mentality the week before the tournament to encourage the wrestlers and let them know that just because they weren’t on top didn’t mean they couldn’t end the day triumphantly. Missouri won the Big 12 tournament and are now focused on the national championships March 15-17 in St Louis.
Here are the first round match ups for Missouri:
- 125: No. 3 Alan Waters vs. Pat Rollins (Oregon State)
- 133: Nathan McCormick vs. No. 6 Devin Carter (Virginia Tech)
- 141: Nicholas Hucke vs. No. 1 Kellen Russell (Michigan)
- 149: Kyle Bradley vs. Josh Wilson (Utah Valley) in the pigtail round.
Winner wrestles against Mario Mason of Rutgers in the first round.
- 157: Drake Houdashelt vs. No. 2 Derek St. John (Iowa)
- 165: Zach Toal vs. No. 8 Robert Kokesh (Nebraska)
- 174: Dorian Henderson vs. No. 4 Logan Storley (Minnesota)
- 184: Mike Larson vs. No. 1 Joe LeBlanc (Wyoming)
- 196: No. 6 Brent Haynes vs. Maxwell Huntley (Michigan)